Friday, December 3, 2010

take one.


What should we do when we are confronted with other cultures?

Reject. That is the instinct inherent in human beings when they are confronted with things different or unfamiliar to them. We reject, ignore, and shove aside anything or anyone that we cannot find a distinctive similiar trait with. Racism is emerged because of the difference of skin color. Wars break out because of escalating differences. In every aspect of our world, we are able to see bits and pieces of rejection because of differences. But why do we reject? It is because we tend to see only the differences that separate us, instead of appreciating the similarities that can harmonize us. All it takes is just a moment to stop and think. We are so focused on the small picture, that it blinds us from seeing the whole picture- the fact that we are all equal, and that every culture roots from the same basis.

Culture itself is an extremely sensitive topic. It's just like abortion or politics. There is no yes or no, no black or white, no right or wrong. It's contorted into a shade of grey, which makes the issue so controversial. When people from different race or background discuss their culture, it can sometimes lead to heated debates and arguments. It only takes one misuse of a word to reverse the current of the dialogue to turn into a violent tide.

Confronting different cultures is not an unfamiliar experience to me since I have encountered three different cultures as I grew up. At times, I have even found my own Korean culture very exotic. There are still some aspects that I find to be very stupid and pointless in Korean culture, for example, how greatly revered adults have to be, how one has to hold his or her chopsticks, or how strange and unheard of it is for girls to play soccer, like I do. Every time I would complain to my parents why Korean culture is this way, I would be chastised. It confused and angered me at first, but I began to see why I was reprimanded. There were times where I felt offended at the critical statements made about Korean culture, whether it was about the horrid smell of kimchi, or about Korean ajummas' paranoia toward their children's education. I realized that the disrespect displayed deeply jabbed me somewhere inside. I realized that the ignorance of an individual towards another's culture could easily anger one. But most of all, I realized that it was important to be even more respectful and appreciative when it came to the point of different cultures meshing with each other.
The Ugly Duckling is an example that came across my mind when I thought about the reactions of people when they view different cultures. We are all the same ducklings in the same pond, but when we see a 'duckling' that is different from us, whether in appearance or personality, we isolate ourselves from that individual. We are all the same human beings put together by flesh and bone, yet we discriminate just because the other person's skin is too dark, or a person's accent is funny, or that another person's eyes are too small like all Asians' eyes are.

Appreciate. Respect. That's all it takes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Janis :)
    I definitely agree that people tend to see the differences in others and automatically reject them. Sometimes we do it without even taking the time to understand the unique qualities of each and every person. We may not always appreciate their differences, but I guess this is where the "golden rule" comes in - treat others as you would like to be treated. We may not be able to accept them, but we can't reject them - respect is the key. Nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Janis,
    I agree with your post 100%. I agree that when human beings are confronted with new cultures, they reject and flee. Whether we actually know someone or something or not, we reject because we are either scared of confronting new things or timid. I like how you used a great example of the Ugly Duckling in your post and how you related how the ugly duckling was different so the other ducklings isolated him. GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete